Restructure and redundancy: When do you have to pay redundancy pay if there is alternative employment available?
In this episode of the podcast I cover a question from a listener which follows on nicely from the last episode when I answered a question about changing employee hours and redundancy. In this episode I tackle the difficult issue for employers regarding suitable alternative employment and the impact of an employees refusal on their right to redundancy pay.
In this episode I will cover:
- The legal position in the Employment Rights Act about redundancy payments.
- What an employer should consider when deciding if a role is a ‘suitable alternative’ or not.
- How an employer should make an offer of alternative employment and what to include.
- The circumstances in which an employee can generally refuse an offer and when that refusal will be reasonable.
- Practical steps for employers to take when considering alternative employment.
- How to try to resolve potentially difficult issues with employees.
- If you are restructuring and there are alternative roles consider carefully how you are going to match employees with the new roles.
- Analyse the differences in the roles between old and new and try to consider how it will be perceived from the employee’s perspective.
- Discuss any objections with the employee and see if you can reach an agreement.
- Seek advice if you are unsure whether you are required to make a redundancy payment or not.
Devon Primary Care Trust v Readman – Court of Appeal
- Redundancy Part 1: An Introduction (Episode 040)
- Redundancy Part 2: Consultation (Episode 041)
- Redundancy Part 3: Selection (Episode 042)
- Redundancy Part 4: Alternative Vacancies (Episode 043)
- Redundancy Part 5: Redundancy Pay (Episode 044)
- Redundancy Part 6: FAQs (Episode 045)
Please do leave any comments, ideas and best practice below. Please ensure that any comments are respectful to all views and opinions.
As part of our HR Harbour annual subscription service for employers we provide guidance and training for employers, supervisors and managers. If you would like to know more about the HR Harbour Service and how you can get unlimited support from as little as £180 per month please contact me for a no obligation discussion – email@example.com or you can find full details here: HR Harbour
Don’t forget you can contact us by telephone 01983 897003, 01722 653001 or 023 8098 2006
The only data we will hold is your name and email address.
Would you like advice about your situation?
Appointments are available on the telephone or via Skype throughout the UK.
Alternatively we offer face to face appointments on the Isle of Wight, Salisbury, Eastleigh, Southampton, Fareham, Portsmouth, Winchester and surrounding areas in Hampshire.
The information contained in this Podcast and post is provided for guidance and is a snapshot of the law at the time. It is provided for your information only and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice that it specific to your particular circumstances.
The guidance should not be relied upon in any decision making process. It is strongly recommended that you seek advice before taking action.
Solicitors Isle of Wight | Solicitors Salisbury | Solicitors Eastleigh
HR Isle of Wight | HR Salisbury | HR Eastleigh